书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000050

第50章 W(2)

②a waste of space无用的人,干什么都不行的人,废物,饭桶

His wife often scolds him as a waste of space.

他的妻子经常责骂他是废物。

③lay sth. waste彻底毁坏(某地),把……夷为平地

The unexpected earthquake laid this area waste competely.

突如其来的地震是使个地区彻底被夷为平地。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Don't waste your breath. Since I have decided,I won't change my mind.

不要白费口舌了。既然我已经决定了,就不会改变我的想法的。

B:I know it's meaningless to saying anything but I have to remind you that you'll regret some day.

我知道说什么都没有意义了但是我不得不提醒你总有一天你会后悔的。

A:No matter what will happen in the future, it's not your business. I can take the responsibility for what I have done.

无论今后会发生什么,这不关你的事。我能够为我所做的负责。

B:Well, let's wait and see.

那么,我们拭目以待吧。

Notes:

1. take the responsibility for对……负责

2. wait and see等着瞧,拭目以待

water

水,水域,水体,在……上泼水,灌溉,给……供水

Useful Phrases实用短语

①to be in hot water遇到麻烦;陷于困境

This time they were in hot water.

这次他们陷入困境了。

②water over the dam既成事实

Don't complain any more, it has been the water over the dam.

不要再抱怨了,这已成为事实了。

③to hold water(论点等)站得住脚;说得通

Please keep my words in mind, your conclusion can't hold water.

请记住我所说的话,你的结论站不住脚。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:John, I'm in hot water this time. I guess my boss will fire me tomorrow.

约翰,这次我遇到麻烦了。我猜老板明天就会炒了我的。

B:Don't worry, tell me what happened?

别着急,告诉我发生了什么?

A:This morning, my boss sent me to talk business with an very important client, for my mistake, the client refused to sign a contract with us.

今早,老板派我去和一位很重要的客户谈生意,由于我的失误,那名客户拒绝和我们签合同。

B:Nobody is perfect. I hope your boss will give you a chance.

人无完人。我希望你老板能给你一次机会。

Notes:

1. talk business谈生意

2. sign a contract签合同

way路,道,方向,距离,方式,方法,点

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in the way挡道

You don't know you're in my way,do you?

你不知道你挡了我的道了吗?

②in a way有一些地,在某种程度上

In a way this is better than that.

这个比那个好些。

③make way for让路给,为……的发展创造条件

When he was still a child, his father had made way for him.

当他还小时,他爸爸就为他的发展铺好路了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Get out of here, you're in my way.

滚开,你挡到我的道了。

B:So what You stupid guy!

那又怎样?你这个蠢货!

A:Do you dare to repeat it again?

你敢再重复一遍吗?

B:Why not I said you stupid guy!

为什么不敢?我说你这个蠢货!

A:See my fist, I'll show you something today!

看拳,今天我要给你点颜色看看!

Notes:

1. dare to do sth敢……

2. I'll show you something我要给你点颜色看看。

wear

穿,戴,佩,面带(某种表情),耗损,磨损

Useful Phrases实用短语

①wear off(情感,效果等)逐渐减弱,消逝,磨掉

For a long period of separating,their love has worn off.

因为长期的分离,他们的感情已经变淡了。

②wear out(把……)穿破,耗尽,使筋疲力尽

The poor man's coat has been worn out.

那个可怜的男人的外套已经穿破了。

③to wear two hats at a time指一个人同时担任两个职务

Since Bill's wife passed away, he'd been wearing two hats at a time as both father and mother?

自从比尔的妻子去世以后,他在家既当父亲又当母亲。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Come on Sally, we'll reach the top of the mountain.

加油萨利,我们就要到达山顶了。

B:I'm sorry,Jack. It really wears me out.I can't move even one inch now.

对不起,杰克。爬山确实让我筋疲力尽了。我一步也挪不动了。

A:Let's have a rest and then go on climbing,shall we?

那么我们休息一下接着继续怎么样?

B:Good idea!

好主意!

weight

重量,沉重之物,砝码,秤砣,价值,重要性

Useful Phrases实用短语

①put on weight体重增加

Long time no see. It seems that she has put on weight these days.

好久没见她了,似乎她的体重近些日子增加了。

②throw one's weight around/about仗势欺人,盛气凌人

Because her father is the mayor of the city, she often throws her weight around others.

因为他爸爸是这个市的市长,她经常仗着这个欺负别人。

③pull one's weight尽自己的本分

Mom used to tell me : no matter where you are, you must pull your weight to do anything.

母亲常常告诫我,无论你在哪都要尽自己的本分做好任何事。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:James, have you got a job now?

詹姆斯,你找到工作了吗?

B:Bad luck! I have seeked it for a long time, but still can't find a suitable one.

真倒霉!我已经找了好长一段时间了,但仍没找到合适的。

A:If you don't mind, you can come to work for me. I guess you'll be interested in it.

如果你不介意,可以过来帮我的忙。我猜你会对它感兴趣的。

B:Thanks a lot. I'll pull my weight to do it well.

多谢了。我会尽本分做好它的。

well

好,令人满意地,彻底地,很,相当,恰当地,适当地

Useful Phrases实用短语

①as well也,同样地

I like watching movie as well.

我也喜欢看电影。

②as well as除……之外,又

She doesen't like tea as well as soft drink.

她既不喜欢茶也不喜欢饮料。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Have you read the newest novel of the cyberwriter I have read it twice, and have been moved deeply.

你读了这个网络作家的最新小说了吗?我已经读了两遍了.我被深深地感动了。

B:Yes, I have. And I like it as well.