书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000049

第49章 W(1)

wait等,等待,等候的时间

Useful Phrases实用短语

①wait on one (sb.)服侍,侍候,招待某人

Sarah waited on her mother day and night.

萨拉日夜服侍她母亲。

②wait about/around白白等着,空等

It's impolite to let others wait about for a long time.

让别人空等很久是不礼貌的。

③wait on sb. hand and foot过分照顾,让……饭来张口,衣来伸手

My parents always wait on my brother hand and foot which makes me feel uncomfortable.

我的父母总是让我弟弟饭来张口衣来身手的,弄得我很不舒服。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:You're overdone, Tom. How could you let me wait about you so long time last night?

你太过分了汤姆。昨晚你怎么能让我空等那么久呢?

B:Sorry, Jane. You know when I was on my way to meet you, my boss called me. He said he had an important thing to discuss with me.

对不起,简。你知道在我去见你的路上时,老板打电话来说有重要的事情要和我讨论。

A:Since that, why didn't you give me a call to cancel the date?

既然那样,你为什么不打电话给我取消约会呢?

B:Please forgive me Jane. I was so hurry at that moment that the phone was left in my car.

请原谅我,简。我当时太着急了结果把手机落在车里了。

Notes:

1. overdone[.?uv?'d?n] adj. 过度的,过火的

2. on the way to在……路上

wrong

不正当的,不法的,错误的,不适当的,失常的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①don't get me wrong别误会我

Come on,don't get me wrong, OK?

得了吧,不要误会我,好吗?

②bark up the wrong tree找错门了

If his father-in-law hopes to borrow any more money from him, he will be barking up the wrong tree.

要是他的岳父再想问他借钱,那他算是找错了门了。

③rub someone the wrong way触犯某人

There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

他有些事让我很恼火。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:John, why are you so fussy about Mary?

约翰,你为什么对玛丽这么挑剔?

B:No, I'm not. I can't complain about Mary.

我没有,我对她没什么可抱怨的。

A:But she resent your criticism.

可是她不喜欢你的批评。

B:Don't get me wrong. What I do is for her own good.

别误会我。我所做的一切都是为了她好。

Notes:

1. fussy ['f?si] adj. 爱挑剔的,难取悦的,易烦恼的

2. resent [ri'zent] 怨恨,憎恨,厌恶

3. for one's own good为某人好

walk走,步行

Useful Phrases实用短语

①walk the walk说的话要去做, 别光说不练

Don't talk the talk, just walk the walk.

别光说不练。

②walk away with sth.轻易取胜,轻易获得

She walked away with her Master's Degree.

她很轻易就拿到了硕士学位。

③walk out ( on sb.)遗弃,抛弃,舍弃,离开

The old woman walked out on her daughter 20 years ago.

这个老妇人20年前遗弃了她的女儿。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Do you know the poor old woman over there?

你认识那边的那个可怜的老妇人吗?

B:I've never see her before. Why do you want to talk about her?

之前从没见过。你为什么要谈论她呢?

A:I just feel she's too miserable. I heard she's walked out by her children. When her husband passed away, she brought up her three children by herself. You know it's not an easy thing for a woman to bring up three children alone.

我只是觉得她太可怜了。我听说她被她的孩子们遗弃了。当她丈夫死后,她就独自一人抚养三个孩子。你知道对于一个女人来说独自抚养三个孩子是多么不容易的。

B:How great the old woman is! I believe her three children will be punished some day.

那个老妇人太伟大了!我相信她的三个孩子终有一天会遭到惩罚的。

Notes:

1. miserableadj. 悲惨的,可悲的,痛苦的

2. pass away去世

work工作,事,职业,作品,着作

Useful Phrases实用短语

①work addict工作狂

she's really a work addict.

他是一个十足的工作狂。

②work out算出,解决(难题),有……效果,设计,计划

When will you work out that math question?

你什么时候能解答出那道数学题?

③To work hand in glove密切合作

Let's forget all these unpleasant memories and work hand in glove.

让我们忘记那些不愉快的记忆密切合作吧。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Who left the office with the light on?

谁离开办公室没关灯?

B:Oh, Mary is still working inside.

噢,玛丽还在那工作呢。

A:I see, the work addict.

我知道了,是那个工作狂。

B:I can't agree any more. She's never conscious of her health until she's ill.

是的。不病倒了,她是不会意识到自己的身体重要。

Notes:

be conscious of察觉到,意识到

want想要,追捕,通缉 ,需要,缺少

Useful Phrases实用短语

①want for sth.缺少,短缺

Tell me what do you want for, I'll buy you.

告诉我你缺什么,我买给你。

②for the want of sth.因为缺乏……

In south China, for the want of water many plants have died.

在中国南方,由于缺乏水源许多植物都死了。

③want out of sth.想要退出

She wants out of the national team for her poor health.

由于身体不好,她想要退出国家队。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Why does Jane give up receiving treatment?

为什么简要放弃治疗?

B:Yesterday her doctor told her that she must have an operation immediatelly. But it will cost a large sum of money, her family can't afford it at all.

昨天她的医生说她必须得马上进行一个手术。但是那要花很多钱,她的家庭根本承担不起。

A:So, do you mean for the want of money, she has to make this choice In that case, why don't we raise money for her?

所以,你的意思是因为缺钱,所以她不得不做出这个决定?如果那样的话,我们为什么不为她募捐呢?

B:I can't agree with you any more.

我再同意不过了。

Notes:

1. a large sum of一大笔

2. raise money募捐,筹款

word词,词语,言语,消息

Useful Phrases实用短语

①big words大话,吹牛

Jim is fond of talking big words.

吉姆喜欢说大话。

②break one's words食言,失信

Nearly no one will trust him, he always breaks his words.

几乎没有人会相信他了,他总是失信。

③have a word with与……简短谈几句

I want to have a word with you.

我想和你简单聊几句。

④have words with与……争论、争吵

She had words with her mother on the phone and still didn't contact with her by now.

她在电话里和妈妈争吵了,直到现在也没有和她妈妈联系。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Mom, you promised me to buy me MP5 if I made a progress in the exam. But why do you break your words now

妈妈,你答应我如果我在这次考试中能取得进步你就会给我买MP5。但是现在你为什么要不遵守承诺呢?

B:Sorry,son. I'm a little busy these days so I have no time to buy it. Do you mind next week?

对不起儿子。这些天我有点忙所以没时间帮你买。下周可以吗?

A:All right.Thank you mom.

好的。谢谢妈妈。

Notes:

make a progress取得进步

wash洗,洗涤,冲走,卷走

Useful Phrases实用短语

①wash out把……洗干净,冲垮,冲走

I have tried to wash my coat out, but it still has no help.

我已经尽力去把我的外套洗干净了,但仍然没有多大起色。

②wash sb.'s hands of sb./sth.拒绝对……负责,脱离关系,洗手不干

When he got married, he washed his hand of the underworld.

当他成家时就与黑社会脱离干系了。

③it will (all) come out in the wash终将水落石出,将会真相大白

No matter how you hide the truth of that thing, it will all come out in the wash.

无论你怎么隐瞒事实的真相,一切终将水落石出的。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I'll go crazy, why don't they believe what I said I really saw her stealing the girl's purse.

我要疯了,他们为什么不相信我说的话呢?我确实看见她偷那个女孩的钱包了。

B:Calm down, Mary. I trust you, but we have no evidence.

冷静点,玛丽。我相信你,但是我们没有证据。

A:Evidence I'll try to find it out at any cost. I can't let her to ch-eat all of us.

证据?我会不惜一切代价找出来的,我不能让她欺骗所有人。

B:Good. I believe no matter how she try to hide the truth,it will all come out in the wash.

很好。我相信不管她怎么极力去掩盖事实,一切终将水落石出的。

Notes:

1. go crazy发疯,疯狂

2. at any cost无论如何,不惜一切代价

waste损耗,浪费,废物,荒野,荒地

Useful Phrases实用短语

①waste one's breath白费唇舌

It's no use talking to him, you'll only waste your breath.

和他谈话没有一点用处,你只是在白费唇舌。