书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000023

第23章 J(2)

B:Join the club. It's not an easy thing to find a suitable job.

彼此彼此。找到一份合适的工作不是一件容易的事情。

A:I heard Tom had been rebuffed by uncountable companies before he found the present one.

我听说汤姆在找到他现在的这份工作前也被无数的公司拒绝过。

B:Oh, really Maybe I should send some resumes on the internet.

哦,是吗?也许我应该到网上去投简历。

Notes:

1. uncountable[,?n'kaunt?bl] adj. 无数的,不可数的

2. resume ['rez?mei]n. 简历,履历

joke笑话,玩笑,笑料,笑柄

Useful Phrases实用短语

①make a joke of sth.拿某事开玩笑,以某事为笑柄

Don't always make a joke of me and that boy, OK?

不要总是拿我和那个男孩开玩笑好吗?

②get beyond a joke超出开玩笑的限度,令人恼火,使人无法接受

Your words get beyond a joke,everyone knows that except you.

你的话过了,每个人都心知肚明除了你以外。

③joking apart/aside言归正传,说正经的

Joking apart, do you really want to resign?

言归正传,你真的打算辞职吗?

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Joking apart, do you really want to marry him?

言归正传,你真的想要嫁给他吗?

B:Why not You know I love him.

为什么不?你知道我爱他的。

A:But when you refer to marriage, you can't but face many realistic questions.

但是当你谈及婚姻的时候,你不得不面对许多现实问题。

B:I know what you mean, actually my father forbids me to marry him.

我知道你的意思,事实上我父亲也反对我嫁给他。

Notes:

1. marriage ['maeridз]n. 婚姻,婚姻生活,密切结合,合并

2. forbid sb. to do sth.不许某人做某事

judge

法官,审判员,判断,猜测,估计,评价,鉴定

Useful Phrases实用短语

①don't judge a book by it's cover勿以貌取人,勿只凭外表判断

People often say don't judge a book by it's cover but only few people can do it well.

人们常说 不要以貌取人但往往很少人能做的很好。

②sb. be the judge of sth.自己能判断,不需别人干涉之意

Don't worry about me. I'm the judge of that thing.

不用担心我,我自己能搞定。

③be a good judge of sth.有很好的鉴赏力

She's a good judge of wine.

她是鉴别葡萄酒的专家。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I can't believe the truth that the thin old man is the president of Peking University.

我简直不能相信那个瘦弱的老人竟是北京大学的校长。

B:So people often say don't judge a book by it's cover.

所以人们常说不要以貌取人啊。

A:Yes, it's true. I'll keep your words in mind.

是啊,这是事实。我会把你的话记在心里的。

B:Frankly speaking, sometimes I also can't do as what the people said.

说实话,我有时也做不到人们说的那样子的,

Notes:

1. thin [θin] adj. 瘦的,薄的,稀薄的,微弱的

2. Peking University北京大学

3. keep in mind记住

just正好,恰好,正当……时,差一点

Useful Phrases实用短语

①could/might just as well不如;还是……的好

You might just as well ask her first and then make the decision.

你不妨先问她一下然后再做决定。

②just about几乎,差不多,近乎

In order to find her out, I just about asked everyone I met.

为了找到她,我几乎问了所有我遇见的人。

③just so有条不紊,井井有条

She always makes everything in her house just so.

她总是把房子收拾的井井有条的。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:You might just as well asked her whether she wants to go travelling with you.

你不妨问问她是否想和你一起去旅行。

B:You're right. I'll call her tonight.

你说得对。我今晚给她打电话。

A:When and Where will you go?

你什么时候出发?要去哪呢?

B:It is still uncertain, I have to ask her first. If she won't go with me, I prepare to leave for London next Sunday.

还没确定呢,我必须得先问问她。如果她不去,那么我准备下周日去伦敦。

jump跳,跳跃,跳过,突升,猛涨

Useful Phrases实用短语

①jump in打断谈话

Mum dislikes me jumping in her words when she's talking with Dad.

妈妈不喜欢我在她和爸爸谈话时打断她。

②jump on sb.批评某事,责备某人,责骂某人

His boss is jumping on him for his negligence of duty yesterday.

他的老板正在为他昨天的失职而批评他。

③jump down sb.'s throat愤怒地反驳,猛烈回击

In the competion, everyone tried their best to jump down their rival's throat.

在这场竞赛中,每个人都尽全力去猛烈回击对手。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Don't just jump on him. You should know it's not his own fault.

不要光责备他,你知道这不是他一个人的错。

B:You mean it's my fault?

你意思是我的错了?

A:I've never said it.

我可从来没那么说。

B:It's my own business, so you'd better go away!

这是我自己的事情,你最好走开!

Notes:

1. It's my own business.这是我自己的事情。

2. go away走开

justice公平,公正,公道,合理,法官

Useful Phrases实用短语

①do justice to sb./sth.公平对待某人或某事

This picture dosen't do me justice.

这张照片把我照走样了。

②do yourself justice充分发挥自己的能力

The final examnation is coming, you must do yourself justice.

期末考试就要来临,你一定要充分发挥自己的实力啊。

③bring sb. to justice(将某人)缉拿归案,绳之于法

The policeman brought the cruel murder to justice finally.

警察最终把那个残忍的杀人犯缉拿归案了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Though she is your niece, I hope you can do justice to everyone here.

尽管她是你的侄女,我希望你能公平对待这里的每一个人。

B:Of course. I know how I should do.

当然。我知道自己该怎么做。

A:When will the champion list come out?

冠军名单什么时候出来?

B:Tomorrow afternoon.

明天下午。

Notes:

1. niece [ni:z] n. 侄女

2. champion ['t∫aepi?n] n. 冠军,拥护者,战士