书城外语英语常用短语大全集
18775800000051

第51章 W

常用英语短语

wait for 等待

常用口语句子

What are you waiting for?

你还在等什么?

Please wait for me at the bus terminal.

请在公共汽车终点站等我。

Time and tide wait for no man.

岁月不等人。

常用英语短语

wait on 服侍,伺候

常用口语句子

Is there anyone here to wait on us?

这儿有人招待我们吗?

This servant will wait on your guests.

这个服务员将为你的客人服务。

As soon as we sat down a waiter came overto wait on us.

我们刚一落座,有一侍者过来招待我们。

常用英语短语

wait up for 熬夜等候

常用口语句子

I shall be home very late tonight, so don'twait up for me.

我今天晚上很晚才回家,不必熬夜等着我。

I won't be back tonight, so don't wait up for me.

我今晚不回来了,所以不用等我了。

Don't go so fast!Wait up for me!

别走得那么快!停下来等我一下!

常用英语短语

wake up 弄醒,叫醒;意识到或认识到某事物

常用口语句子

Wake up! It's eight o'clock.

醒醒吧!已经八点钟了。

I was woken up by a noise in the room.

屋子里的声音把我吵醒了。

He hasn't yet woken up to the seriousnessof the situation.

他还没意识到情况的严重性。

常用英语短语

walk up to 走近

常用口语句子

A stranger walked up to me and shook myhand.

有个陌生人向我走来跟我握手。

She walked up to the desk and asked to seethe manager.

她走到办公桌前要求见经理。

He walked up to me and asked me wherethe post office was.

他走到我面前,问邮局在哪儿。

常用英语短语

waste one's breath 白费口舌

常用口语句子

They won't listen, so don't waste your breath telling them.

他们听不进去,不必和他们白费唇舌了。

I'll not waste my breath on you.I can see you are not going to help us at all.

我不在这里跟你白费口舌了,我知道你根本不打算帮助我们。

I told them how to do it but I was wasting my breath; they went and tried it their way-and failed!

我告诉他们怎么做,但是我徒费口舌,他们还是按自己的一套去做——结果失败了!

常用英语短语

watch out for 密切注视;警惕

常用口语句子

The staff were asked to watch out for forged banknotes.

已经要求职员留意伪钞。

Watch out for cars when you cross the road.

过马路时当心车辆。

Watch out for that man.

要提防那个人。

forge [f?:d?] v. 伪造,假冒

banknote ['b??kn??t] n. 纸币

常用英语短语

wear away 渐渐磨损

常用口语句子

The steps had been worn away by the feet of thousands of visitors.

参观的人成千上万,把台阶踩得不像样子了。

The waterfall is wearing away the rocks.

瀑布不断地冲蚀着岩石。

Constant dropping wears away a stone.

滴水穿石。

常用英语短语

wear off 使衰弱;销蚀

常用口语句子

The dishwasher has worn the glaze off the china.

这些瓷器经常用洗碗机清洗,光泽都消失了。

The novelty will soon wear off.

这种新奇的感觉很快就会消失。

The pain is slowly wearing off.

疼痛的感觉正在慢慢消退。

novelty ["n?vlt?] n. 新奇,新颖

常用英语短语

wear out 穿坏,用旧;耗尽;使疲乏不堪

常用口语句子

I wore out two pairs of boots on the walking tour.

我徒步旅行穿坏了两双靴子。

Her patience was at last worn out.

她终于忍无可忍了。

They were worn out after a long day spent working in the fields.

他们在地里干了一整天的活儿,累得疲惫不堪。

常用英语短语

wear through 磨穿

常用口语句子

The bottom of the bucket has worn through after all this time.

经过这么长时间,这只桶的底部终于磨穿了。

I've worn through the elbow of this old coatat last.

最后我把这件旧外套的肘部磨出了窟窿。

The knees of these trousers have been completely worn through.

这些裤子的膝盖已经磨破了。

bucket ['b?k?t] n. 桶

elbow ['elb?u] n. 肘,肘部

常用英语短语

what about 怎么样

常用口语句子

What about lending me some money?

借点钱给我如何?

What about going to a movie?

去看场电影如何?

What about your trip next week?

你下星期的旅行怎么样了?