书城外语从Hello到玩转英语
18775700000026

第26章 想聊就聊(19)

美国半数以上的交通拥堵是因为交通总量超限。其他的原因是交通事故、道路施工或天气状况。

Traffic research still cannot fully predict under which conditions a'traffic jam'may suddenly occur.It has been found that individual incidents may cause ripple effects(a cascading failure)which then spread out and create a sustained traffic jam when, otherwise, normal flow might have continued for some time longer.

交通研究还未能说明哪种情况会突发交通拥堵。但是发现单独的交通事故也引起交通连环事故,导致交通堵塞,要不然正常的交通流量会持续更长的时间。

读书笔记

___________________________________

___________________________________

12.交通事故 Traffic Accident

引发交通事故的原因:客观因素,车况不佳,疏忽大意,操作失误,违反规定。

交流应急句

1.There is a traffic accident here.

这里发生了一起交通事故。

2.I crashed into another car.

我撞到别人的车了。

3.We've had a car accident.

我们遇到了一起车祸。

4.Where was the accident?

车祸发生在哪儿?

5.I brake as hard as I could.

我拼命刹车。

6.It happened in the blink of an eye.

事故转眼就发生了。

7.Two trucks crashed into each other.

两辆卡车撞到一起了。

8.Now please call the police quickly.

现在请快打电话叫警察吧。

9.I stopped, but only just in time.

我及时刹住了车。

10.I came near to being knocked down by a car.

我差点被车撞倒了。

11.There was a car accident at the intersection.

十字路口发生了一起车祸。

实用情景对话

Policeman:Hello,911. Can I help you?

Stranger:It's an emergency. I was in a car accident.

Policeman:Where did it happen?What street are you on?

Stranger:East Hilton Drive.

Policeman:Stay right there. We'll be there in five minutes.

Stranger:Could you call an ambulance for me?My friend was hurt.

Policeman:OK.

警察:您好,911,能帮您忙吗?

陌生人:紧急情况。我遇到交通事故了。

警察:在哪儿发生的?现在你在哪条街上?

陌生人:希尔顿东街。

警察:待在原地,我们5分钟就到。

陌生人:请帮忙叫辆救护车,我的朋友受伤了。

警察:好的。

欧美文化360°洗礼

摩托狂人 Motorpsycho

在小区里看到轰鸣而过的摩托车你会如何反应?有人或许会觉得那样很帅,也可能有人会觉得太过招摇。这样完全沉浸在对摩托车的热爱当中的骑车人我们可称之为motorpsycho(摩托狂人)。

Motorpsycho is an individual who rides their motorcycle with complete and total disregard for the safety of themselves or others, or an individual who rides purely to satisfy their own ego, refusing to shift gears because revving their engine sounds so cool.

Motorpsycho就是指那种骑起摩托车来就完全不顾自己和他人安危的人,或是那些骑摩托车纯粹是为了满足自我表现意愿的人,他们在骑行过程中不愿换挡,因为发动机启动的声音听起来实在太酷了。这种人可称之为“摩托狂人”。

For example:

The guy who won't shift out of first and pops wheelies in my neighborhood on the same street where kids play and ride their bikes is a total motorpsycho.

例如:

那家伙就是个摩托狂人。他在我家附近孩子们玩耍和骑自行车的那条街上挂着一档骑摩托车,而且还玩翘头。

13.违规被罚 Being Fined for Violation

美国的公路上一般没有供行人走路或骑车的专用道。如看见前面有人骑自行车,应放慢速度,尽量绕开行驶。千万别旋风般地开过去。

交流应急句

1.What's the problem, officer?

警官,有什么事吗?

2.What did I do wrong?

我哪里违规了吗?

3.Can I see your Iicense?

能看一下你的驾照吗?

4.Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

你知道你的车速有多快吗?

5.You were exceeding the speed Iimit.

你超速行驶了。

6.You're committed a parking violation.

你违规停车了。

7.What is the fine for speeding?

超速要罚多少?

8.Where do I go to pay the fine?

我要到哪里去交罚款呢?

9.May I pay the fine with my credit card?

我可以用信用卡交罚款吗?

10.I'm just going to give you a warning this time.

这次我只是给你一个警告。

11.I'll Iet you go this time, but don't Iet it happen again.

这次我放你一次,但是下不为例。

实用情景对话

Policeman:Excuse me, miss!May I see your driver's I icense?

Lillian:Yes. Here is it.Any violation, officer?

Policeman:You were speeding.

Lillian:I'm sorry. I don't know the speed Iimit of this zone.

Policeman:His is a 35-mile zone, and you were driving 45. There is your citation.PIease read the instruction on it and go to pay the fine.

Lillian:OK!May I have my driver's Iicense now?

Policeman:Here you go. Be carefuI from now on!

Lillian:I'll keep it in mind!Thank you!

警察:对不起,小姐,我可以看一下你的驾照吗?

莉莲:可以,给你,我违章了吗,警察先生?

警察:你刚刚超速了。

莉莲:抱歉,我不太确定这里的限速。

警察:这里的限速是35英里,而你的车速是45英里。这是你的缴款单。请看上面的说明指示去交罚款。

莉莲:好的,我现在可以拿回驾照了吗?

警察:拿去吧,今后小心点!

莉莲:我会谨记在心。谢谢!

欧美文化360°洗礼

Parking Violations违章停车

Parking violations include, but are not limited to:

违章停车包括但不仅限于:

1.Parking in a prohibited space such as a bus stop or in front of a fire hydrant or a driveway or a garage entrance.

在禁止停车的地点,如公交车站、消防栓前面、行车道或者车库门口,都属于违章停车地点。

2.Parking on a sidewalk(unless specifically allowed by signs).

在人行道上停车属于违章停车(除非有明显标志“可以停车”)。

3.Parking in or too close to or within a street crossing, railroad crossing or crosswalk.

在街道路口、铁路路口或人行横道等地点或附近区域停车属于违章。

4.Double parking.

双重泊车属于违章。

5.Parking at a parking meter without paying, or for longer than the paid time.

在停车位,未付款或超时间停车,属于违章。

6.Parking in a handicapped zone without an appropriate permit.

在交通障碍物处泊车,属于违章。

7.Many vehicle codes define it to be an infraction to park on the public byway without the vehicle being properly licensed and registered, with expired or missing license plates or license plate'tabs',without proper safety vehicle inspection decal, etc.

未经登记注册、上牌照,或牌照过期或丢失,没有车辆安全检验合格的,在公路旁停车,根据许多机动车法规,属于违章。

8.Parking without a zone permit in places where parking is severely impacted(such as a residential zone permit, issued to help preserve parking availability for those who live in the permit zone).

没有停车位证明,乱停车的,属于违章。(例如社区停车牌,为了保护特定业主停车权。)

美食人生

1.享受烹饪 Eating at Home

西方是一种理性饮食观念。不论食物的色、香、味、形如何,而营养一定要得到保证。这一饮食观念同西方整个哲学体系是相适应的。

交流应急句

1.Do you know how to cook?

你会做菜吗?

2.PIease mix the sugar, spices and soy sauce in a bowI.

请把糖、辣椒和酱油倒在一个碗里调匀。

3.She sliced the onion and put it in the beef stew.

她将洋葱切片放入炖牛肉中。

4.Shall we give them poached salmon as a starter?

咱们做个水煮三文鱼给他们当开胃菜怎么样?

5.What would you Iike as a starter?

您第一道菜想来点什么?

6.You'd better mash the potatoes with a fork.

你最好用叉子把马铃薯捣碎成泥。

7.I'll peeI the vegetables and you chop them.

我择菜,然后你切。

8.His job was to peeI potatoes.

他的工作是削马铃薯皮。

9.Do you prefer plain boiled rice or fried rice?

你喜欢吃白米饭还是炒饭?

10.Just use a very small amount of oiI.

只要放一点点油就行。

实用情景对话

Cooking

A:Do you Iike cooking?

B:I Iove it. I really enjoy creating a meaI from various ingredients and watching my friends enjoy it.It gives me a reaI sense of satisfaction.Do you enjoy cooking?