书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000006

第6章 C(1)

call命名,称呼,把……叫做,打电话,呼唤

Useful Phrases实用短语

①call sb.'s bluff要求……摊派,要求……兑现其承诺

His friends called his bluff to eat up all the food.

他的朋友要他兑现说把所有食物都吃光的承诺。

②at call随叫随到(的)

In the company whenever she was asked to do anything she would be at call.

在公司里无论别人何时吩咐她去做什么,她总是随叫随到。

③call in召请,叫来,收回

The principal called in all the students of school to give them a speech.

校长召来该校所有学生来给他们进行一次演讲。

principal [pris?pl] 大学校长,学院院长,最主要的

④call a spade a spade直言不讳,有啥说啥

⑤call it a day结束一天的工作,到此为止,停止

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Next week I'll move into my new house. Can you come to help me

下周我要搬到新家,你能来帮我一下吗?

B:At call.

随叫随到。

A:Thank you. You're real my best friend. Whenever I ask you to do anything for me, you seldom say no.

谢谢。你真的是我最好的朋友。无论何时我有什么要你去做的,你很少说不的。

B:Don't mention it, OK We're best friends, you know.

别提这个好吗?你知道我们是最好的朋友。

care小心,注意,照料,忧虑,关心

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in the care of sb./in sb.'s care由……来照顾

The child was left in the care of her friends.

小孩被留下来由朋友照顾。

②couldn't care less不在乎,不在意

Frankly speaking, I couldn't care less what they said.

说实在的,我不在乎他们说什么。

③under the care of sb.接受某人的治疗

Her son is under the care of Dr Li.

她的儿子在接受李医生的治疗。

④take care走好,保重

⑤who cares管他呢,谁管呢?

Daily Conversation日常会话

Johnson:

My parents passed away not long after I was born, so I had been in the care of my grandfather all the time.

约翰逊:

我父母在我出生后不久就去世了,所以一直都是我爷爷把我带大的。

Sanndy:

Your grandfather is really great. You know it's hard for a man to bring up a child.

仙蒂:

你的爷爷真的很伟大。你知道对于一个男人来说养大一个孩子是不容易的。

Johnson:I can't agree more.

约翰逊:我再同意不过了。

Notes:

1. pass away去世,逝世,消失

2. bring up提出,教养,养育,呕吐

carry

运送,支撑,支持,包含,具有,刊登,赢得,获得

Useful Phrases实用短语

①be/get carried away变得很激动,失去自制力

John got carried away and began to cry at the others.

约翰激动得不能自持并开始向其他人哭喊。

②carry sb.'s back (to sth.)是回想起,使回忆

This song carried my back to the childhood.

这首歌使我忆起童年。

③carry sb. through sth.使某人渡过难关

His determination carried him through the ordeal.

他靠坚强的信心渡过了难关。

ordeal [ ?:'di:l] n. 磨难,折磨,煎熬,严酷的考验

Daily Conversation日常会话

Michelle:The song carries me back to my childhood.

米歇尔:这首歌使我想起了童年。

Mike:

Me too. And it's very popular among the middle aged people.

迈克:我也是。这首歌在中年人当中非常流行。

Michelle:It sounds melodious, just as a nightingale is singing.

米歇尔:听起来很悠扬,就像夜莺在歌唱一样。

Mike:Yes, I like all the songs of this singer.

迈克:是啊,我喜欢这个歌手的所有音乐。

Notes:

1. melodious [m?'l?udi?s] adj. 悦耳的,优美动听的,像音乐的

2. nightingale [naiti?geil] n. 夜莺

case

情况,实情,事例,实例,案件,诉讼,

病例

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in any case无论如何

In any case you should tell her the truth.

无论如何你都应该告诉她实情。

②in case假使,以防万一

Take an umbrella in case it rains.

带把伞,以防下雨。

③in case of如果,万一

In case of rainning, they can't go.

万一下雨,他们就不能去了。

④in the case of就……来说,至于

In the case of this competition, no one can tell who will win.

至于这场竞赛谁会赢没人能说得出。

⑤in nine case out of ten十之八九

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:In any case you shouldn't tell him the truth.

不管怎样你不应该告诉他真相的。

B:It is easy to say. You don't konw the situation at that monent.

说的容易。你不知道当时的情形。

A:Well, can you retell the situation to me

那么,可以把情形向我复述一遍吗?

B:OK, I bet after listening to it, you'll change your mind.

好的,我敢打赌你听完后会改变你的想法的。

Notes:

1. retell [ri:'tel] v. 复述,重新讲述

2. bet [bet] v. 打赌,下赌注

cat猫

Useful Phrases实用短语

①let the cat out of the bag(无意中)泄露秘密

I wanted it to be a surprise, but my brother let the cat out of the bag.

我想给大家来个惊喜,但是我哥哥却先说漏了嘴。

②like a cat on hot brick局促不安,如坐针毡,像热锅上的蚂蚁

Tom was like a cat on hot brick before his tutor examed their homework.

在导师检查他们作业前汤姆像是热锅上的蚂蚁一样。

③be the cat's whiskers最棒的东西(或人,主意等)

I think this idea is the cat's whiskers.

我认为这个主意最棒。

whisker ['wisk?]须,络腮胡子,连鬓胡子

④When the cat is away the mice will play.猫儿不在,老鼠翻天。

Daily Conversation日常会话

Mary:I'm so angery with my sister.

玛丽:我很生我姐姐的气。

Jane:Why

简:怎么啦?

Mary:

I have told her not to tell mom I'm in love, how can she let the cat out of the bag.

玛丽:

我已经告诉她不要告诉妈妈我在恋爱,她怎么可以泄露秘密呢?

Jane:

On the other side, it's also a good thing for you. It's much better than you tell her by yourself.

简:

在另一方面这对你来说也是件好事。总比你自己告诉你妈妈好多了。

catch

抓住,抓获,偶然发现,赶上,得(病),感染到,引起(兴趣),听清,理解

Useful Phrases实用短语

①catch on理解,变得流行

His father invented an electric toy, but it never really caught on.

他爸爸发明了一种电子玩具,但这种玩具从未真正流行起来。

②catch sb.'s eye引起某人注意

Can you catch your teacher's eye

你能引起老师的注意吗?

③catch up on sth. (用额外时间)补做,赶做,补上

Sarah has to catch up on a large amount of work.

萨拉有大量工作要去补做。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:How are you getting on these days

你最近怎么样啊?

B:I've been busy in catching up on my paper.

我一直都在忙着赶做我的论文。

A:When will you hand it in

你什么时候上交呢?

B:Our professor said tomorrow will be the deadline.

教授说明天是截止日期。

Notes:

1. hand in交上,呈上,提交

2. deadline ['dedlain] n. 最后期限,截止日期

chance可能性,机会,时机,机遇

Useful Phrases实用短语

①by any chance或许,可能

Do you sweet on him by any chance

你难不成爱上他了?

②give sb./sth. half a chance给……一些机会

You should give him half a chance to explain.

你应该给他一些解释的机会。

③take a chance (on sth.)冒险

I don't want to take a chance on such thing in the cost of losing friendship.

我不想以失去朋友为代价在这件事情上冒险。

Daily Conversation日常会话

Mike:

I know I'm wrong . Can you give me half a chance one more time

迈克:我知道错了。你能再给我一些机会吗?

Mary:Never. I have given you so many chances.

玛丽:绝不。我已经给了你那么多机会了。

Mike:

Can you give me a break I swear it's the last time I have cheated you.

迈克:你能放我一马吗?我发誓这是最后一次骗你了。

Mary:No matter what you say , I won't forgive you this time.

玛丽:不管你说什么,这次我都不会再原谅你了。

change改变,变化,交换,兑换(钱)

Useful Phrases实用短语

①change hands转手,易主

The old house has changed hands for serval years.

这间老屋已经易主好几年了。

②change your tune改变态度,变卦

When I found him once again, he had changed his tune.

当我再找到他时,他已经变卦了。

③change back (into sb./sth.)恢复原状,还原,复原

She wants her life to change back.

她想让生活恢复原状。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Excuse me, is this Mrs Smith's house

打扰一下, 请问这是史密斯女士的家吗?

B:Sorry, the house has changed hands for several times.

不好意思,这个房子已经转手好几次了。

A:Do you know where they moved to

你知道他们搬去哪了吗?

B:I sorry sir, I really don't know it.

不好意思,先生,我还真的不清楚。

chip碎片,薄片

Useful Phrases实用短语

①have a chip on sb.'s shoulder敏感,容易生气