书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000047

第47章 V(1)

vain徒劳的,自负的,空虚的,惘然的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in vain徒然,徒劳无功

All my efforts were in vain.

我的一切努力都白费了。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Mary, can you tell me what should I do next I have do my best to do it well, but all these efforts are in vain.

玛丽,你能告诉我下一步该怎么做吗?我已经尽全力去做好它了,但是所有的努力都白费了。

B:Don't worry Jane. I have hepled you to analyse all the reason and here is the conclusion, I hope it can help you.

别急简。我已经帮你分析了所有的原因这是结论,我希望会对你有帮助。

very很,非常,同一的,真正的,极端的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①the very same完全相同

You can't find two things be the very same.

你不可能找到两个完全相同的事物。

②the very idea(表示震惊)真做得出

Oh, my god. You are the very idea.

哦,天哪,你真想得出。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:As for your paper, can you give me the reasonable explaination Why is it the very same with James's?

就你的论文,你能给我个合理的解释吗?为什么它和詹姆斯的一模一样?

B:I’m sorry sir. I really don't know why. Maybe you can ask James for the truth. I'm innocent, please trust me.

抱歉先生。我真的不知道为什么。或许你可以去问詹姆斯了解真相。我是无辜的,请相信我。

Notes:

1. explainationn. 解释

2. innocent ['in?s?nt] adj. 无辜的,无罪的,无知的

value价值,用处,重要性,价格

Useful Phrases实用短语

①be of great(no) value to sb.对某人很有用(没用)

This pen is of great value to me.

这支钢笔对我来说很有用。

②get good value for one's money钱花得值

The gift of valentine's day gets good value for her money.

她买情人节礼物的钱花得值。

③value sb./sth. as sth.把……当成……

He never valued me as his best friend.

他从没把我当作最好的朋友。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Hi, Sally. You're so beautiful today. I've never seen you wear this green skirt before. So, when did you buy

嗨,萨利。你今天真漂亮。我以前从没见你穿过这条绿色裙子,那么,你什么时候买的啊?

B:Thank you. I bought it last Sunday. To tell the truth, I regreted buying it. It's too expensive for me.

谢谢。我上星期天买的。说实话,我有点后悔买了它。这对我来说太贵了。

A:But you're really elegant in it. It gets good value for your money.

但是你穿上它真的很优雅。这个钱花得值。

Notes:

1. regret doing sth.后悔做了……

2. elegant ['elig?nt] adj. 高雅的,优雅的,讲究的

vest

汗衫,背心,马甲,内衣,衬衣,归于,

属于

Useful Phrases实用短语

①close to the vest指一个人非常小心不让别人知道他在干什么

Joe, keep this close to your vest but I want to tell you our company is going to merge with a big HongKong Corporation.

乔,我要告诉你,我们的公司要和香港的一家大公司合并了,不过你知道就行了,不要往外说。

②vest in sb./sth.(权利,财产)属于,归属

This house vests in her father.

这间房屋属于她的爸爸。

③vest sth. in sb./sth.授予,赋予,给予(合法权利或权力)

The board of directors in this company is vested with overall authority.

这家公司的董事会拥有一切权利。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Jack, you have no right to sell this house. It had vested in me when dad passed away.

杰克,你无权卖那栋房子。爸爸去世时它就归属我了。

B:Don't talk nonsense. I'm his son if I have no right to sell it, who will have?

别胡说八道。我是他的儿子如果我没有权利卖它,谁有?

A:Well, since you don't trust me, you can go to consult dad’s lawyer. He'll tell you everything.

好吧,既然你不相信我,你可以去咨询爸爸的律师。他会告诉你一切的。

Notes:

1. talk nonsense胡说八道

2. consult [k?n's?lt] v. 咨询,请教,商量

view视力,视野,景色,看法,意见

Useful Phrases实用短语

①in view of sth.鉴于,考虑到,由于

In view of bad weather, we'll cancel our plan to go out eating.

考虑到这样差的天气,我们打算取消出去吃饭的计划。

②in one's view在某人看来

In my view,she is a person without receiving any education because she is rude enough.

在我看来,她没有接受过任何教育,因为她粗鲁十足。

③come into sb.'s view进入某人的视野

At the end of this road,a girl with green skirt came into my view.

在路的尽头,一个身穿绿色裙子的女孩出现在我的视野中。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Have you heard that the actress's love affair with the mayor You know the rumor is still in the air these day. I really can't believe it.

你听说那个女演员和市长的绯闻了吗?你知道这几天谣言还在流传中。我真的不敢相信。

B:Yes, I have. In my view, it's only the media's hype.

是的,我听说了。在我看来,这只是媒体的炒作而已。

Notes:

1. love affair绯闻,风流韵事