书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000037

第37章 P(2)

加油茉莉。你知道我不能丢下你的。

A:Jack, come on. I have gaven up, but you still have the chance to win. If you don't want to let me down, you should seize this opportunity.

好了杰克。我已经放弃了,但是你还有赢的机会。如果你不想看我失望,就应该抓住这次机会。

B:I know, Jasmine. I'll try my best.

我知道了茉莉。我会尽全力的。

Notes:

seize this opportunity抓住机遇

pig猪,令人不快的人

Useful Phrases实用短语

①when pigs fly无稽之谈

He'll win a match when pigs fly.

他要是能赢得比赛就怪了!

②pig out狼吞虎咽地大吃

We pigged out on pizza last night.

昨天晚上我们大吃了一顿比萨。

③eats like a pig吃得像猪一样,又多又难看

Look,,he eats like a pig just as he hasn't eaten food for a long time.

看,他吃得像猪一样,要多难看有多难看,好像很久没吃东西了一样。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:He always pigs out on everything, which demonstrates that he doesn't look like living high on the hog.

你看他吃东西狼吞虎咽地,一点也不像过奢侈 生活的人。

B:I am jealous of him. It will be better to live high on the hog.

我嫉妒他。要是我也是富人就好了。

A:You live high on the hog when pigs fly.

要是你是富人就怪了。

B:Believe it or not, I will succeed if I go whole hog.

信不信由你。只要我全力以赴,我会成功的。

Notes:

1. high on the hog豪华地,奢侈地

2. hog [h?g] n. 猪,像猪般的人,贪婪者

place位置,职位,处境,地位,住所,地方

Useful Phrases实用短语

①out of place不适当,不适宜

Perhaps a mention of her merits is not out of place.

也许在这里提一提她的优点不会不恰当吧。

②in place of代替

She cooked by herself in place of going out for a dinner.

她自己煮饭而不是出去吃。

③take one's place就座,入座

Everybody takes your place please.

各位请就坐。

④There's no place like home.

在家千日好,出门一时难。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I'd never forget when I left home to Beijing for the first time, all the things were so strange to me.

我永远也不会忘记第一次到北京时,一切对我来说是那么的陌生。

B:I can understand your feeling, because I have experienced the same situation. Especially, I missed my family every day.

我能理解你,因为我也经历过同样的情形。尤其是每天都想家人。

A:Besides, I had to deal with all the trouble by myself. It took me a long time to adapt the new enviroment.

除此之外,我不得不自己去处理所有的困难。这花了我很长一段时间去适应这个新环境。

B:So people often say: there's no place like home.

所以人们常说:在家千日好,出门一时难。

play播放,玩耍,扮演,比赛,游戏

Useful Phrases实用短语

①play along(暂时)与某人合作

Although I don't like him, I have to play along with him.

尽管我不喜欢他,还是要暂时和他合作。

②play with fire玩火自焚,自找麻烦

I think it would be playing with fire if you point out your boss's relationship with Carol who got the promotion.

你要是指出你老板跟那被提升的卡萝尔的关系,那你是在给自己找麻烦。

③play about/around (with sb./sth.)玩弄,乱弄,糊弄,鬼混,沾花惹草

Do you know he has a wife but he often plays around with other women?

你知道吗他有老婆了却经常沾花惹草?

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Do you know why Mary has divorced with her husband?

你知道玛丽为什么和她丈夫离婚吗?

B:I heard she found her husband playing around with a young women when she was walking in the street.

我听说她在街上走时发现她的丈夫和一位年轻的女子在一起鬼混。

A:Oh, poor Mary. She must be very sad at that moment.

哦,可怜的玛丽。她那时一定很伤心吧 。

B:That's true. But you know she really can't bear her husband to betray her.

是啊。但是你知道她真的无法容忍她丈夫背叛她。

point点,分数,论点,尖端,目的

Useful Phrases实用短语

①come to the point一语言中,开门见山

As she was in a hurry, she asked him to come to the point as soon as possible.

她很着急,所以要求他直接说到点子上来。

②on the point of doing sth.正要做某事

I'm just on the point of leaving home when she payed a visited to me.

我正要离开时她来拜访我。

③in point of就……而言,关于……

In point of his leaving, there's still no any response at present.

关于他的离开,目前仍无任何回应。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:In point of her suicide, what do you want to say?

关于她的自杀,你有什么想说的?

B:It really shocked me when I heard the grievous news. You know she was always a tough-minded girl, since her father had died, she nearly carried all the burden of the whole family.

当我听到这个噩耗的时候的确使我很震惊。你知道她一直是个一直坚强的女孩。自从她爸爸去世后,她几乎担起了家里的所有负担。

A:Her burden was too heavy, after all she was only fifteen years old.

她的负担太重了,毕竟她才才十五岁啊。

B:Yes, if only we all had gaven her some care, the result wouldn't be this one.

是啊,只要我们都都给她一点关心,就不会是这个结局了。

Notes:

1. suicide ['sjuisaid] n, v. 自杀,自杀行为,自杀者

2. grievous ['gri:v?s] adj. 痛苦的,悲伤的

3. tough-mindedadj. 意志坚强的,实际的

price价格,代价,给……定价

Useful Phrases实用短语

①every man has his price没有人是不可以收买的

Every man has his price. He certainly can be bought over-if not with money, then with women.

没有人是不可以收买的。他绝对不会例外--金钱不能奏效,就用女色吧。

②at any price无论花多大代价,无论如何

He'll get the World Cup ticket at any price.

无论花多大代价他都要买到世界杯门票。

③make a price开价,定价

How much will you buy it, just make a price.

多少钱你能买它,开个价。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Can I try on this shirt?

我可以试穿一下这件衬衫吗?

B:Yes, of course. Which one would you like to try The white one or the black one?

好的,当然可以。你要是那一件呢?白色的还是黑色的?

A:The white one. Thank you.

白色的,谢谢。

B:It suits you very well. If you really like it, I'll give you a discount.

这件非常适合你。如果你真的想买,我会给你个折扣。

A:How much can you sell it Just make a price.

多少钱能卖 你就开个价吧。

B:One hundred yuan at the buttom price.

最低价100元。