书城外语日常286词玩转英语口语
18647600000027

第27章 L(2)

A:I know they will comfort me if I fail in the exam. But I really don't want to see that happen.

我知道如果我考试没通过他们会安慰我的,但是我真的不想看到那一幕发生。

B:Come on. If you meet some problems you can't work out, just turn to me. Maybe I can help you.

加油。如果你遇到一些解决不了的问题可以来找我,或许我可以帮助你。

A:Thank you.

谢谢。

Notes:

1. colleage entrance examination高考

2. comfort ['k?mf?t] v, n. 安慰,安慰者,舒适

level平面,水平线,水平,等级

Useful Phrases实用短语

①a level playing field机会均等

It isn't a level playing field society although it is often said so.

这不是一个机会均等的社会尽管说是如此。

②level with sb.对某人说实话,直言相告

I have a feeling that she doesn't level with me.

我有一种感觉她没有对我说实话。

③on the level诚实,诚恳,合法,正当

Their trade isn't on the level.

他们的交易不正当。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:In this competition, we all have a level playing field. I hope everyone can demonstrate his ability to us.

在这次比赛中,每个人的机会都是均等的。我希望你们能够展示自己的实力。

B:Thank you, and we will.

谢谢,我们会的。

A:But please keep in mind :competition comes second than friendship.

但是请记住:友谊第一,比赛第二。

B:OK. We won't forget it.

好的。我们会记住的。

Notes:

1. keep sth. in mind记住……

2.Competition comes second than friendship.友谊第一,比赛第二。

lie

躺,平放,位于,处于(某种状态),伸展,展现

Useful Phrases实用短语

①lie down躺下,平卧

You're too tired. You'd better go and lie down for a while.

你太疲惫了,最好先去躺一会。

②lie behind sth.是……的真实原因(或理由)

Can you tell me what lay behind their conflict?

你能告诉我他们之间冲突的原因吗?

③lie around/about乱放,乱搁

I can't endure her lying her clothes around.

我受不了她到处乱放衣服。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Can you put your shoes in order I don't like people lying around things.

你能把你的鞋子放好吗?我不喜欢有人乱放东西。

B:Sorry, but I'm a little busy now. Do you mind if I put them away after finishing my work?

不好意思,我现在有点忙。你介意我把工作弄完再把它们收起来吗?

A:OK.

好的。

Notes:

1. put sth. in order把……放好,使……井然有序

2. put away放好,收好,收藏,存储

life

生命,性命,一生,寿命,生活,生存,人生,生物,活力

Useful Phrases实用短语

①come to life苏醒过来,开始有生机

When spring is coming, all the plants begin to come to life.

当春天来临时,所有的植物开始复苏过来。

②make life difficult (for sb.)(给某人)惹麻烦,造成困难,出难题

Our enemy tried their best to make life difficult for us.

我们的敌人尽力全力去给我们制造麻烦。

③cat-and-dog life争吵不休的生活

Poor couples often lead a cat-and-dog life because of financial problems. Don't you think so?

贫贱夫妻百事哀。你不这么认为吗?

④While there is life there is hope.

留得青山在,不怕没柴烧。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I still haven't found a job by now. Life to me is too difficult. I have felt hopeless for the future.

我仍然没有找到工作。生活对我来说太难了。我对于未来已经无望了。

B:While there is life there is hope.

留得青山在,不怕没柴烧。

A:You know I'm running out of money. Can you borrow me some money for the time being?

你知道我的钱要用完了,你能暂时借我一些吗?

B:Anytime.

随时可以。

light光,光线,光亮,光源,灯

Useful Phrases实用短语

①throw light on使人了解,阐明

When you give the others a report you must throw light on what you try to say.

当你给别人做报告时,你必须使人了解你在说什么.

②light up照亮,点燃,容光焕发

My teacher's words light up my road to the future.

我的老师的话照亮了我通往未来的路。

③make light of轻视

Don't make light of the poor. Everyone is equal around the world.

不要轻视穷人,每个人在世上都是平等的。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:I"ll have a report in the school hall this afternoon. So, can you give me some guides?

今天下午在学校大厅我有一个报告。所以你能给点指导吗?

B:You should keep in mind that the most important thing is to throw your view light on.

你应该记住最重要的一点是要阐明你的观点。

A:Anything else?

还有其他的吗?

B:Besides, you'd better make a full preparation and don't be nervous when you are standing on the stage.

除此之外,你最好做好充分准备,在台上不要紧张。

line线条,界限,皱纹,方针,路线

Useful Phrases实用短语

①line up(使)排成行,(使)排队

Please line up before you enter into the cinema.

在进入影院之前请先排好队。

②be on line在运转,在运行

The machine is on line.

机器在运行。

③bottom line底线

As sales started rising in the fourth quarter of 2013, all of the cost reduction fell to the bottom line.

随着销售量在2013年第四季度开始增长,所有的降低成本都下降到了底线。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Can you help me check the machine It isn't on line now.

你能帮我检查一下机器吗?它现在不运转了。

B:All right. Wait a monment please.

好的。请稍等。

A:How long will it take?

要花多长时间?

B:It's hard to say. Maybe the whole afternoon.

难说。可能要一下午。

A:Oh, my God!

哦,我的天哪!

live

居住,活,(过)生活,(回忆等)存留,难忘

Useful Phrases实用短语

①live on靠……生活,以……为食物

They all lived on her father's poor salary in the past days.

在过去的日子里他们全靠她父亲微薄的工资生活。

②live off依赖……生活

She 's living off selling newspapers.

她靠卖报生活。

③live up to遵守,实践(诺言、原则等);不辜负(期望)

Finally, he didn't live up to his families hope.

最终,他辜负了所有家人的期望。

Daily Conversation日常会话

A:Mom, I'm afraid I can't live up to your expectation this time.

妈妈,我恐怕这次要辜负您的期望了。

B:Don't have any burden, baby. I know you have tried.

宝贝,不要有任何负担。我知道你已经努力了。